Sunday, August 12, 2007

Famous People


Yesterday we found ourselves in a hotel lift with a famous person. I've always wanted to remain nonchalant in this situation, but I find myself always falling short. Famous people we've seen so far close up (often in the street) include; Bill Clinton, Prince William, Nigel Havers, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais and Brian Adams. I've always felt, if I'm faced with such a person, I'll behave just the same. After all, why not.... but that wasn't to be when Sven Goran Erickson (one time England football coach) stepped into the lift with me on the eve of his new Man City team playing against West Ham. Debra asked him point blank if he was for real or a look alike, and i crapped on about being from Australia and playing Ozzy rules (when did I ever play that game!). Unbelievable!. So when we were down at the bar, and it was filling up with Man City players in their tracksuits, we knew we'd met the real guy and at the same time made ourselves look like huge plonkers.... There are stars and there are plebs. We know who we are.